VFOTW: The Triple Aught Design FJ Cruiser TAD创始人改装的酷路泽
I first met Patrick by-way of his “other” vehicle; a custom-built, diesel powered, and well-outfitted 40 Series Toyota Land Cruiser, which I wrote about in the Summer 2012 issue of Overland Journal. To say I’ve developed a penchant for his creations would be an understatement—whether they be products designed by the company he founded, Triple Aught Design, or the vehicles he brings to life through purposeful modification.
我第一次见到帕特里克通过他的“其他”车；一个定制的，柴油，和装备精良的40系列丰田陆地巡洋舰，这是我写的关于在夏季2012期Overland Journal杂志。其中轻描淡写的说TAD（Triple Aught Design）的创始人凭自己的爱好，通过有目的的改装给车辆带来了生命。
Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Patrick certainly has the opportunity to use his vehicles, and when he’s not logging miles in his vintage FJ, he’s to be found in the drivers seat of his newer FJ Cruiser.
I’ve come to realize that for Mr. Ma, the devil is in the details. It’s entirely possible to sit back and look at one of the vehicles he’s built for hours, only to jump back in amazement when you realize there’s a bronze bear bolted to his rear bumper. With almost any other build you’d critize something like that, but in the case of Patrick’s 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser—it just kind-of works.
There’s no doubt that there’s been a comprehensive approach to building this FJ. With a stage 3 ICON Racing Dynamics suspension system, he’s been able to lift the vehicle enough to fit BF Goodrich All Terrain KO 285/75/16 tires, while still improving the ride and handling of the vehicle on and off-road. Protection out frontis handled by a Body Armor aluminum bumper, and in the rear with a LoD bumper that holds 2 fuel or water cans, a Hi-Lift, and even a rear back-up camera (as if an FJ Cruiser would ever need one of those…)
Aesthetically, it’s hard to argue with the modifications Patrick has made to the vehicle. For 2010, models wearing “Army Green” paint originally came with silver trim, however he’s replaced it with factory black trim from the Trail Teams vehicles. The factory grill has also been replaced by a black MX unit from GrillCraft; which has now earned a nice patina from the salt air in the Bay Area. A rhino-lined hood and roof increases the utility look of the vehicle, and drastically changes the look of the vehicle which came factory with a white roof.
The interior, as I expected, is full of surprises, with an MPAC center console and rear cargo door storage system that has room for quite a bit of essential gear, including a stove, fire making supplies, three days worth of freeze dried food, LED road flares, an E-tool, flashlight, tool kit, water bottles, siphon, and most importantly a first aid kit.
- ICON Racing Dynamics “Stage 3” suspension and lift kit（ICON赛车动力学“第三阶段”悬挂和升降套件。）
- All original FJC silver trims were replaced with the Trail Teams black.（所有原厂FJC银装饰用TRAIL队的黑色取代。）
- Replaced factory grill with GrillCraft MX grill in black.（grillcraft MX烤黑取代了原厂护栏。）
- Mesh stone guards installed over head lamp lens.（为了防止石头对大灯的危害把守卫网格安装在大灯前）
- Rear light guards.（尾灯防护罩）
- Locking gas cap cover.（锁气阀）
- American Eagle Series 100 black alloy rims with BFG AT KO 285/75/16（美国之鹰系列100黑色合金轮辋型号BFG AT KO285/75/16）
- No-Loss tire valve caps.（轮胎气门帽。）
- Dirty Parts FJC Dual Battery Kit.（FJC双电池盒）
- 2 Die Hard Platinum Batteries.（2个虎胆龙威铂电池。）
- Installed factory optional rock rails and side steps.（安装护栏旁的阶梯）
- Body Armor aluminum front bumper with Super Winch.（工厂岩石导轨摇臂保护。）
- LoD Off Road rear bumper with optional dual MFC carriers, and storage rack.（LoD越野后保险杠与MFC运营商,或存储架。）
- HiLift Extreme jack mounted on rear.（HiLift千斤顶安装在后方。）
- MPAC center console and rear cargo door storage system with storage pouches Tuffy Lock Box center console.（MPAC中心控制台和后方货物门存储系统存储袋Tuffy锁箱中心控制台。）
- RAM mounts custom install for 2 smart phones and iPad.（安装2个通用充电插口。）
- Red LED dome lights.（红色LED灯。）
- Husky slush mats.（Husky 挡泥板。）
- Rhino lined roof and hood.（犀牛车顶内衬和发动机罩。）
- RTT ready roof rack by Baja Rack.（RTT车顶行李架。）
Mesh stone guards installed over head lamp lens.
Superwinch EPi 9.0 winch.
American Eagle Series 100 black alloy rims with BFG AT KO 285/75/16 and No-Loss tire valve caps.
美国之鹰系列100黑色合金轮辋与BFG AT KO285/75/16和无损耗轮胎气门嘴帽。
ICON Racing Dynamics “Stage 3” suspension system.
Factory rock rails for rocker protection.
Dual Quick-Fist mounting points for shovels, axes and more.
Rear light guards and locking fuel door.
LoD Off-Road rear bumper with dual can holders.
A rear back-up camera and one of the little details that really make the vehicle.
A roof-tent ready Baja Designs Roof Rack.
Fire extingusher and on-board storage.
iPad for navigation, note the built in Apple dock charger.
A heavy duty center console.
Dual Die Hard Platinum Batteries installed with a Dirty Parts kit.
A special thanks to the entire Triple Aught Design team for taking the time out of their very, very busy workday to let Expedition Portal take a look at their FJ Cruiser!